Friday, April 22, 2016

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store - Distress Ink Watercolor with Poppy Field Embossing Folder with a Tutorial


Hello blogging friends!  Today, is my day to post for The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.   I have a beautiful card and tutorial to share with you. 


I used the  Darice Embossing Folder - Poppy Field and Tim Holtz Distress Inks to create a beautiful watercolor card.  I will be honest and tell you that I wasn't sure if this card was going to turn out like I had envisioned it in my head.  At times during the process it didn't look very pretty but once I finished it I was happy with the results and the end result is all that matters.  :) 


To start I embossed a piece of Ranger Watercolor paper using the Darice Embossing Folder - Poppy Field.


I started by adding color to the poppies and for the most part I tried to keep the color inside of the embossed lines.  I used three different colors of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for the flowers.  I started with the lightest color Abandoned Coral.  Before I added the color I applied clear water to the embossed images of the poppies.  Doing this helps the color to flow and blend.


Next I added Festive Berries.  I wanted some of the lighter color at the top of the flower petals so I didn't pull the darker color all the way to the top.  In between all of the layers I used a heat tool to dry the paper and speed up the process.


I added a second layers of the Festive Berries but I used less water.


 Then for the darker red tone I used Aged Mahogany.  For this layer of color I tried to keep most of it towards the bottom of the petals.


In this picture here you can see that I painted the background first using Tumbled Glass and Broken China.  I figured it would be a lot easier to color the background first and then go over the buds, stems, and leaves.  For the first layer of color on the leaves I used Shabby Shutters.


For the second layer of color on the buds, stems and leaves I used Peeled Paint.


Here is a look at the piece after all of the watercolor was done.  I added some Gathered Twigs brown ink to the buds, stems, and leaves and then I added Black Soot to the center of the flowers.  I used a heat tool to dry the paper and then I came in and added clear water to the poppies and some of the back ground to let the colors blend and flow outside of the embossed lines.  I heat set the paper one last time and then for some added sparkle I went over all of the embossed areas with the Zig Wink of Stella Clear Glitter Brush Pen.  I love all of the shimmer and sparkle it adds to the flowers.


Here is the finished card and you can see more of the sparkle from the Zig Wink of Stella Clear Glitter Brush Pen.  I used Therm-O-Web Foam Squares to add some dimension between the layers.  Then I added a bow using some of the May Arts 1/4" Silk Ribbon Black Silk and I added a rhinestone to the center of the bow from the Prima Say It In Crystals Combo Pack - A Victorian Christmas Adhesive Rhinestone.


Here is a close up of the shimmer and sparkle.


To finish off the card I added a layer of black cardstock and then the card base is a deep redI hope you enjoyed this technique and tutorial and will give it a try.  It's a little bit of a different spin on on watercolor and using an embossing folder but I love how it turned out.

Thank you so much for joining me today and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Please be sure to check out The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store for all of the fantastic paper crafting products and the Blog for inspiration from the Design Team.

Hugs & Smiles,
Heidi

Supplies
Paper:  Ranger Watercolor, Cardstock - Black, Red
Ink:  Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Abandoned Coral, Festive Berries, Aged Mahogany, Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint, Gathered Twigs, Black Soot
Ribbon:  May Arts 1/8" Silk Ribbon Black Silk
Accessories:  Darice Embossing Folder - Poppy Field, Prima Say It In Crystals Combo Pack - A Victorian Christmas Adhesive Rhinestone, Zig Wink of Stella Clear Glitter Brush PenTherm-O-Web Foam Squares, Scor-Tape

6 comments:

  1. This is soooooooooo beautiful!!!! Would like to try it but do not have all the colors of ink. My son has water colored for 40 yrs. in his spare time and he would love getting a card like this from me. ha. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooooooooo beautiful!!!! Would like to try it but do not have all the colors of ink. My son has water colored for 40 yrs. in his spare time and he would love getting a card like this from me. ha. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! This is a work of art with all the water coloring you did. Incredibly beautiful! You are so talented and your tutorial is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS!!! I am very keen to do some watercoloring, and love that you are using distress inks here. Beautiful embossing really makes lovely texture. This should be framed!

    Best wishes,

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! So glad to see such bravery in trying a new way of watercoloring. It's not always as easy as one would think watercoloring is. I find myself trying at it lots and then goving up. Using an embossed folder is a great idea to try! Thanks for sharing this !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!! I really appreciate it!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...