Friday, September 9, 2016

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store - Altenew Coffee Love and Coffee Talk - You Mocha Me Happy Card

Hello everyone!  Are you a coffee lover?  Well, if you are you are going to love some of the new coffee themed stamp sets from Altenew.  For my card today I did a masking technique and used two of the coffee themed stamp sets.  If you are new to stamping or if you have never done the masking technique I will share with you how easy it is to take a few stamps and layer them with the masking technique to create a larger image that looks like it was all from one large stamp.


Here is a look at the card I designed.  I used six different stamps with the masking technique to create the look of one larger stamped image.  When I am doing the masking technique I like to use Post-It Notes.  I stamp the image on to Post-It Note paper towards the top because there is a little bit of the low tack adhesive on the paper and that helps to hold it in place.  If you don't happen to have Post-It Notes you can also stamp on printer paper and use a two-way glue pen to add a little bit of adhesive.  Once you have all the images stamped on to the Post-It Notes then fussy cut the images.


Here you can see the fussy cut stamped images.  If I am going to be doing a lot of masking I like to lay out the paper pieces on my card so I can get an idea of how I want the finished stamped piece to look.  Once all of the images are laid out the I will look to see which image is in the front.  For this card the image is the small coffee cup.  So that is the image I will stamp first.  When you're doing masking you will work from the front to the back with stamping the images.  Once an image is stamped then it will be covered up with the mask.  Doing the masking technique allows you to stamp several image and not have the lines of the images overlap each other.


Here is another picture where all of the stamping is done and I still have a couple of masks over the images.  So I stamped the small coffee cup first and then the coffee mug.  Next I stamped the coffee pot on the right and the one in the center.  Then I stamped the stack of plates and coffee cup and finished with the coffee pot on the left.  Basically every time you stamp a new image you will place a mask over it to cover it up and protect it from having the lines of the other images.


Now for the fun part--this is what the paper looks like once all of the masks are removed.  It creates the illusion that it is all one image.  I usually save my masks because they can be used several times.


Here is a close up of all of the coffee pots and cups once all the coloring was done.  I used Copic markers to color the images and all of the colors are listed below in the supplies.  Also all of the images I used are from the Coffee Love Clear Stamp Set and the sentiment is from the Coffee Talk Clear Stamp Set.  For the sentiment I wanted to heat emboss it but I didn't have any brown pigment ink that matched the card and I also didn't have any brown embossing powder.  So here is a little tip that works great with clear stamps.  First I stamped the sentiment using Altenew - Four Scoops Ink (Dark Chocolate) ink which is a dye ink and then I stamped over top of it with VersaMark Ink.  Once I had the VersaMark Ink on then I was able to add Ranger - Super Fine Detail Clear Embossing Powder and use my heat tool to heat set and melt the powders for a perfect embossed sentiment.


For the bottom piece of the card I used brown cardstock and stamped the coffee beans several times with VersaMark Ink and then I added Ranger - Super Fine Detail Clear Embossing Powder to emboss the images.  I also used Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Vintage Photo to ink around the edges of all the paper.


To assemble the card I place the piece of cardstock with the coffee beans at the bottom of the panel with the coffee pots and cups.  I added a very thin strip of black cardstock and added the card front to a black A2 card base and that finished off the card.

The masking technique is a well loved technique that has been around for several years but if you haven't done it in awhile or if you are new to stamping and haven't tried it I encourage you to pull out some stamps and give it a try.

Thanks so much for joining me today!  Please be sure to check out The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store for all of your paper crafting needs and also visit the Stamp Simply Blog for more inspiration from the design team.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs & Smiles,
Heidi


Supplies
Stamps:  Altenew - Coffee Love Clear Stamp Set, Coffee Talk Clear Stamp Set
Paper:  Cardstock - White, Brown, Black, Post-It Notes
Ink/Markers:  Altenew - Four Scoops Ink (Dark Chocolate), VersaMark Ink, Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Vintage Photo, Copic Markers - C0, C1, N4, N5, T5, W1, W2, W3, R46, R89, E23, E25, E27, E29, E31, E37, E57
Accessories:  Ranger - Super Fine Detail Clear Embossing Powder, Scor-Tape, Heat Tool

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Heidi! I love the masking. I haven't tried that yet. It's humbling that you took the time to fussy cut all the images. And, I love the coloring. I happen to have a few of the Copic markers you used. That helps me! :) Thank you for listing them and thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun card Heidi. I like to do masking, it's puttsy but a fun effect. (gail)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!! I really appreciate it!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...