Saturday, February 21, 2015

Ken Oliver Crafts - Change the World Card with Color Burst

Hello everyone!  Today, I have a fun and colorful card to share with you.  Have you heard about the new product called Color Burst from Ken Oliver?  


Color Burst is an exciting new product!  It's a micro fine pigment powder and once you add water to it the colors really truly burst!  It is available in six beautiful and vibrant colors.  


Here is the card I designed using Alizarin Crimson and Orange Color Burst.  I used Color Burst to tint some Gel Gloss for stenciling, create a watercolor background and to hand dye some seam binding.  There are so many different applications that Color Burst can be used for.


I mixed some of the  Golden Extra Heavy Gel Gloss with the Alizarin Crimson Color Burst to create this pretty pink tint.  It only takes just a tiny little sprinkle.


Here is a close up of the pretty pink mix.  I used a piece of Ranger Watercolor Paper along with the Prima Finnabair Elementals Lace Stencil and applied the tinted Gel Gloss and then set it aside to dry.  Be sure to wash the stencil right away for easy cleaning.  


Once the gel was dry then I wet the watercolor paper and started adding the Alizarin Crimson and Orange Color Burst to create a beautiful watercolor background.  I have to say I just LOVE this color combination!  It's so pretty!!


I created a color pallet with my Color Burst.  To do this just sprinkle a little of the Color Burst and add water.  When you're done set it aside to dry (my pallet has a plastic lid) and then next time you want to use it just add some water to reactive the Color Burst.


Here is a quit tip.  If you want to have more control over the Color Burst when adding water you can use a water bottle with a dropper.  Since the Color Burst is a Micro Fine Powder even the little bit of air that comes out from a mist bottle can move the Color Burst powder and it might end up where you don't want it.  But if you use a dropper you will have a lot more control.  I picked up a couple of these bottles at Hobby Lobby and they were very inexpensive.


Here is a close up of the background piece.


Here is a close up of the sentiment.  I used the flourish and sentiment stamp from the 71 006059 Ken Oliver WATERCOLORED MEMORIES Clear Stamp Set 2.  I used Memento Inks, Angel Pink for the flourish and Tangelo for the sentiment.  Then I used Tonic Studio 175e TOPPER DIE INNER SET - THANK YOU die template to create the label shape.  I added a few  Wild Orchid Craft Flowers MKX-122 Mixed Pink/White Cosmos Daisy and for the leaves I used one of the die templates from the 657e ROYAL FERN DIE SET from Tonic Studio.  For the bow I used some hand dyed seam binding.  Can you guess how I dyed the seam binding?  Yep, that's right--Color Burst! For some sparkle I added a few sequins and then I also went over the flowers and leaf die cuts using the Zig Wink of Stella Clear Glitter Brush Pen
 **NOTE** Tonic Studio dies linked to a US site and UK site in the supply list.


Here is one more close up of the Color Burst watercolor background with the tinted gels gloss and stenciling.  



I hope you enjoyed the card and tutorial today.  I hope it inspires you to give Color Burst a try!  If you do please let me know--leave a link to your blog or gallery.  I would love to see your artwork!


Thanks so much for stopping by today!
I hope you have a wonderful and creative weekend!

Hugs & Smiles,
Heidi


Supplies
Stamps:  Ken Oliver Crafts 71 006059 Ken Oliver WATERCOLORED MEMORIES Clear Stamp Set 2
Paper:  Ranger Watercolor Paper, Cardstock-White
Ink/Paints/Paste:  Ken Oliver Crafts Color Burst Alizarin Crimson, Orange (watercolor), Golden Extra Heavy Gel Gloss (mixed with Alizarin Crimson Color Burst), Memento Inks-Angel Pink, Tangelo
Dies:  **NOTE** Tonic Studio dies linked to a US site and UK site. Tonic Studio (US) 657e ROYAL FERN DIE SET, 175e TOPPER DIE INNER SET - THANK YOU, Tonic Studio (UK) 657e ROYAL FERN DIE SET175e TOPPER DIE INNER SET - THANK YOU
Ribbon:  Hand Dyed Seam Binding (Orange Color Burst)
Accessories:  Wild Orchid Craft Flowers MKX-122 Mixed Pink/White Cosmos Daisy, Sequins, Prima Finnabair Elementals Lace Stencil. Ranger Multi Medium Matte, Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L 3D Foam Squares, Zig Wink of Stella Clear Glitter Brush Pen, Hot Glue

6 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning! I cannot wait to get my hands on the Color Burst powders and get creative with them! Thank you for the tip on letting the "leftovers" dry and mist when I want to use them again as watercolors. Not sure I would have thought to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors and beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this card!! I shared it on my store's Facebook page and our blog!! I linked it back to your blog so readers can see more of your beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! I am dying to get Colorburst to use in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card and technique....
    Loved the colors....
    Thanks for sharing, gonna try something
    And will link back.... Thanks again....
    Regards Shilpi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!! I really appreciate it!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...